29 April 2014

my life as a blonde


i don't think life has changed significantly, but here are a few things i've noticed since becoming blonde...

hair

my hair feels considerably thinner, but it isn't as dry and rough as i thought it would be. to be fair, i had "virgin hair" (never dyed) which was extremely healthy prior to dyeing, so i think that may be some of the reason why it has held up so well. a hairdresser friend recommended joico k-pak colour therapy products for blonde hair and i have found it good so far. the revitaluxe treatment is pretty amazing.

the regrowth has been my main concern. my hair grows fast! although i don't mind the regrowth in its current state (2 weeks), by the end of 4 weeks i think i will be more than ready to get those roots taken care of. my only problem is now having to find a whole new hairdresser in a whole new country. if anyone has tips for a great asian hairdresser in london, please do tell! (particularly one that is good with colour)

after even a few days i noticed that my hair started to go a bit more yellow or brassy. this is undesirable. on the recommendation from my hairdresser friend i have been using joico violet shampoo, which has brought it back to a white/ash, however with still a few streaks of yellow here and there. may have left the shampoo in a little long last night as my hair had a somewhat lilac tinge. i have also heard that schwarzkopf silver shampoo is amazing, so that might be my next experiment. any suggestions welcome :)
 
life

my husband commented today that he thought i had been wearing more black since i've been blonde. i disagreed saying that i had always worn a lot of black and pointed out that maybe he is only noticing it more now that i am blonde as it is a lot more contrasting. other than black, i have found that colours such as pink and blue go well with blonde. pretty much my entire wardrobe looks so different on me! i have tended to shy away from grungy looks, afraid that i might look too rock n roll... but maybe i will have to incorporate it a bit more subtly.
 
i have always been told that blondes get more attention. i have maybe noticed a few glances in my direction, but nothing overt. i tend to think that people are only looking at me because you don't often come across a blonde asian. or maybe they are confused as to my origin. or maybe i just look like a crazy person

 anyway, i really have no complaints. it's funner getting dressed and doing my hair. i'm still taken by surprise every time i see my reflection.

10 comments:

  1. For being so very light your hair still does look amazingly blond! I've been every color under the sun, and light blond is the only one that didn't really work for me. It was odd... Since I'm really light skinned and my eyes are light brown I had some friends who thought it looked natural and loved it... And others who DETESTED it. I've been red (strawberry and fire engine), black, brown, pink, stripey, ombre, and mahogany and ultra-light brown (my two favorites I come back to again and again) and the only color anyone ever had a STRONG reaction to was the blond.

    -- Alex at Cashmere Kangaroo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, that is so interesting! i've never dyed my hair before, so going blonde was a massive change for me. of course i expected that people would feel strongly about it. have found mostly older people don't like it and younger people think it's cool. i think 90% of people would prefer my natural black hair, but a few have said blonde suits me. no one has said to my face they don't like it except my parents haha... i guess all that matters is that i like it (and my husband!). i think it's going to be around for a while :)

      Delete
  2. When I went blonde it took SO long for me to get used to it, haha! Blonde looks really good on you!
    lexi // thelittlebrunette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm still getting used to it too! thanks for your sweet comment :)

      Delete
  3. I think it is great you tried something totally different and I must admit I am a chicken in making big changes in my hair ;)
    x Sandra

    www.morestylethanfashion.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i figured i had nothing to lose. and that i could always dye it back to black (or close to) if it went bad haha

      Delete
  4. i love being blonde, but it is a bit trying on your hair. i use purple shampoo as well, a coconut oil treatment once a week and Moroccan oil whenever styling. it's a bit of work, but i definitely love it!

    xo, Liz
    http://oyouclassy.com
    http://oyouclassy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is definitely a commitment being blonde! so much maintenance and care required! will see how long i last haha... thanks for your tips!

      Delete
  5. Great look
    Blonde is beautiful for Sumner, and you look amazing.
    xoxo
    http://stunningchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! you are looking amazing! Love it

    xx Cissy
    www.idreamofbunnies.com

    ReplyDelete

a penny for your thoughts?