it's been 3.5 months since we moved to london and, to be honest, i can't say that i've missed perth one bit. of course i miss my family and friends, but missing them and feeling homesick are quite different.
we've settled so much into london that we actually miss it when we go away. you can't really put your finger on it, but there's something about a big city that is a bit like a drug (not that i've ever done drugs), but the good kind. the more you experience, the more you want and if you go without for too long, you just come crawling back for more.
it's feeling like you are one tiny life in an ocean of people, it's discovering a hole-in-the-wall cafe, it's getting lost in the crowds, it's finding a great cup of coffee, it's experiencing new and exciting things, it's having the world at your fingertips, it's appreciating that the sun's out even if it's just for an hour, it's stepping into a church that was built in the 1100s, it's inhaling that warm and stale tube air, it's hearing 3 different languages spoken in one room annd it's having someone to share it all with.
a few more interesting things i've noticed about london:
1. people can drink anywhere they want, whether it be on the street, in a park or even on the tube.
2. london is a great place for single people. we have met so many single people here ranging from 25-40 and being single is really no big deal. people are so content with where they are in life. hardly anyone is married and there are definitely no kids (so different from our life in little ol' perth). plus, supermarkets cater for single people way better than in australia - all the meals come in 1 serving portions!
3. class structure is really a thing here, with a real distinction between the posh upper class, the middle class and the working class. most people tend to mix only within their class sphere.
4. the spectrum of earning capacity is way more extreme! in perth graduate teachers are earning as much as, if not more than, graduate lawyers. in london, the minimum wage is £6.50, but if you're a lawyer or a banker your earning capacity has almost no limit.
5. brunch does not mean from 10:00am to 12:00pm, it's more like 12:00pm to 5:00pm.