20 September 2014

last goodbye

sunglasses: le specs ziggy (on sale!) | dress: secret south

 today i said goodbye to my blonde locks. it's been 5 fun months of being as close to looking like barbie as i could, but my hair is dying (dyeing, ha). it's been breaking about 1/3 down the strand, which i suspect is the point at which the initial bleaching began. i now have tufts of hair sticking out here and there! i finally bit the bullet after my husband told me it was time. i was in denial for a while and thought i could get away with reverse top deck, but alas i don't think i'm cool enough to pull that off.

my last thoughts:

1. being blonde means less makeup. going all out on the eyeshadow really did not work for me, whereas with black hair it was never a problem. red lips also looked really different and i found i had to wear simple clothing to offset all the colour. maybe i felt there was too much going on around my face or that the hair highlighted the makeup.

2. people stared more. i noticed this a little, but my husband said he noticed it a lot. i think people were more bewildered by the odd combination of asian blonde than stunned by my beauty (i wish).

3. it made colours pop. pinks and blues worked wonders with the blonde.

4. being a blonde is hard work! i had to get my roots done every 4-5 weeks, each session lasting approximately 3 hours and costing around £100 or so. i washed my hair only twice a week, each time washing with a colour shampoo, a violet shampoo (leaving in for 3-5 minutes) and a treatment (also leaving in for 3-5 minutes). after towel drying my hair, i would then rub through some leave-in conditioner.

5. i'll be back. i miss the blonde already and it's only been 9 hours. my husband keeps gunning for grey, so we will see once my hair makes a recovery.

18 comments:

  1. that's so awesome! i. i would never be bold enough to dye my hair platinum blonde like you, but definitely interesting to know your thoughts on it! :D

    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was a long process for me! i thought about it for a year at least, did a lot of research and talked to other blonde asians and hairdressers. i figured that hair grows and it will never be permanent. the worst that could happen is my hair falls out haha, which is pretty bad, but it's broken anyway and i have tufts all over my head. still not fazed. it was lots of fun, if anything else!

      Delete
  2. Awesome pictures and I really enjoyed your post
    From Harry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks harry. glad you got something out of it.

      Delete
  3. Bellissimi i tuoi occhiali da sole, come piacciono a me!
    http://piubuonepiubelle.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. don't understand but grazi anyway :)

      Delete
  4. Amazing photos. Love the sunnies too.
    http://blogthebutterfly.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha my random selfie photos from greece. thanks!

      Delete
  5. I love round glasses! They are so popular in Sweden. Also, you hair is gorgeous! x

    Louise
    http://louiseplace.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. seeing them everywhere at the moment! lots of fun :)

      Delete
  6. oh god, that's why I don't want to dye my hair, it will be broken :( but it was really nice to read your thoughts about it ahah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, i knew it was a possible consequence of the blonde, but i figured hair grows... and other people do it and don't suffer as much!

      Delete
  7. Bye bye blonde hair! It's nice to have a dramatic change like that but so tough to maintain and so damaging for our black asian hair :(

    I'm glad the blonde hair is coming back though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( so sad it's gone. i look in the mirror now and i get sad haha...

      Delete
  8. Love this sunnies!!! And your hairstyle is perfect!
    annasmirror.blogspot.com

    BLOG | FACEBOOK | LOOKBOOK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks ana. unfortunately my hair is no longer this perfect :(

      Delete

A penny for your thoughts?