09 October 2014

wardrobe planning


some of you might know that i'm a perpetual planner. i plan out every trip, creating spreadsheets of places to eat and things to see and do. i plan events all in advance and must put them in both my phone and physical diary. so it will be no surprise that i have started organising and planning my wardrobe.

i use pinterest to privately pin every item in my wardrobe, separating the clothes out into spring/summer and autumn/winter. that way i can get a clear picture of what in my wardrobe is relevant to me now and it also helps me re-organise my actual wardrobe to store away clothes that i won't require for the upcoming season. i find it extremely helpful to visualise my entire wardrobe. that way i can avoid double ups and i can see where there are holes/missing pieces.
 
i have been challenged of late to buy less and curate a wardrobe that is more fitting to my lifestyle, my style, my budget and my wardrobe size (living in a tiny london flat will do that to you!). maybe it's because i'm getting older and, i would like to hope, wiser, but i am finding myself less wanting to be fashionable and more wanting to be practical and true to myself.
 
i have been reading blogs un-fancy and into mind, which have really challenged me to change my wardrobe ways. whilst i'm not sure i could whittle my wardrobe down to 30-40 pieces, i have taken away some valuable lessons which i will attempt to summarise below:
 
1. back to basics
 
the number 1 thing i reach for in my wardobe every time are basics. the white shirt, the black skinny jean, the perfect tee, the black blazer. while basics might seem boring, they provide a great foundation on which to build any outfit. having a good store of basics means that you really don't have to overthink. i have been stocking up on really good basics such as cotton tees from zara in every colour (black, grey, white), merino and cashmere sweaters from the men's uniqlo section and work shirts from cos. i know that every one of these pieces will be put to good use all year round.
 
2. quality is everything
 
i think i have mentioned this before, but i make sure to check the tag of every garment before i buy to know the material and the amount of work that will go into maintenance. basic stuff like cotton tees/shirts, wool sweaters, silk dresses. polyester is always a big no for me and it makes me so mad that high end designer brands are still producing polyester products (rant!).
 
3. stop hoarding
 
there are definitely items in my wardrobe that i've kept because they were expensive and i can't justify wasting the money or because i'm keeping it for when i lose some weight. trust me, it's just never going to happen. a wardrobe cleanse is what everyone needs at least 3 times a year. it's so liberating and therapeutic! if you can sell some stuff, good on you, but seriously if you haven't used an item for over a year give it away.
 
4. lists
 
it comes with the planner's territory, but i find that making wishlists of the items i want to buy for the next season really helpful to keep me on track with my buying. that way i won't get sidetracked by sales or seasonal fashion pieces that i really don't need. i have holiday shopping lists as well. on my recent trip to paris i wrote down a small list of things that i specifically wanted and ended up not buying anything except a small clutch bag because i couldn't find anything on the list. for my upcoming trip to stockholm the only item on my list is a scarf! let's see how i go with that one.
 
5. avoid fast fashion
 
i would maybe allow 2-3 pieces of fast fashion for the season, but generally they tend to be poor quality and won't be used for more than a few months. zara and topshop are the main perpetrators and sometimes you can obtain quite good pieces, but i tend to avoid filling my wardobe with every "it" piece in a season as i know that it will not end up being a long term relationship.


what's your wardrobe ethic? how do you plan your wardrobe, if at all?

24 comments:

  1. yay for closet purging!!i do it at least 2 times a year! i love this post!!! i actually follow most of these tips!! :D

    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good on you! i think it's good for us to have some control over our consumerism!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. thanks emma. i hope it was helpful xx

      Delete
  3. Love this post! Totally agree with all your points. thanks for sharing!
    xo
    http://www.caseyscollection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks casey. i'm glad i'm not the only one!

      Delete
  4. Great content! Thanks for sharing.

    Eye See Euphoria : http://eyeseeeuphoria.com/post/linnea-olsen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much. hopefully i practice what i preach!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog! Ooh the shoes are always my favourite part. Still lusting after the Wang Fabiana's xx

    reallyliteral.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha shoes are always my weakness. love my fabianas so much!

      Delete
  6. Love this selections :-*
    http://piubuonepiubelle.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow the clothes look amazing!! Great choices! :)

    New post on GIRL ABOUT TOWN BLOG
    FACEBOOK || BLOGLOVIN || INSTAGRAM || G +

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks nicole. hopefully i can further curate my wardrobe into something i'm completely happy and content with.

      Delete
  8. Wow this is such a great idea! Love this <3


    xoxo Iris
    A Dash Of Fash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! i find it very helpful, but you definitely have to do what works for you.

      Delete
  9. Totally in love with this selection <3
    kisses

    Francesca http://everydaycoffee23.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  10. :)

    http://shareasecretmag.com/

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tips! I don't do much wardrobe planning. I just pick up what I like as shop.
    Dresses & Denim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i used to do that too, but my wardrobe just got way out of hand and i found myself spending far too much money on everything i liked. i need some control and boundaries in my life.

      Delete
  12. I often use pinterest on planning to, but on events :)

    xx
    STYLE VANITY

    GIVEAWAY: Get a chance to Win $25 Gift Card to Shop Korean Beauty Products in W2Beauty! They offer free shipping worldwide. JOIN HERE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's such a good program from event planning too! brilliant for weddings and parties.

      Delete

A penny for your thoughts?